Terrible news from here… a Dallas Icon for the last sixty years, Big Tex, has burned.
Big Tex destroyed by fire at State Fair
Why are you reading my stupid blog? Why aren’t you reading Cloud Atlas? The movie is about to come out and you have to read the book first.
David Mitchell basks in ‘Cloud Atlas’ boost
With the Wachowskis-directed film version of his intricate book ‘Cloud Atlas’ out soon, David Mitchell finds himself ‘happily bewildered.’
A User’s Guide to Watching (and Keeping Up With) ‘Cloud Atlas’
Yes, I had one of these… and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. The sounds of the Space Invaders guys as they moved down, inexorably, faster and faster, is burned in to my memory forever. For some reason, I enjoyed the crude golf game. And I was really excited when the ultimate twitch-game Defender came out – though it wasn’t as cool as the arcade version – it must have really pushed the console’s capabilities. The thing only had 128 bytes of RAM. That’s bytes, not kilobytes.
You Built What?!: A Tesla Coil Gun That Produces Foot-Long Sparks
Kristen Wiig, Hailee Steinfeld to Star in ‘Hateship, Friendship’
Guy Pearce, Nick Nolte also are cast in the indie dramedy from “Return” writer-director Liza Johnson. The project starts shooting next week in New Orleans.
Based on Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage, a book of short stories by Alice Munro, the project centers on a nanny (Wiig) hired to care for a rather wild teenage girl (Steinfeld). Using email, the girl orchestrates a romance between the nanny and the father (Pearce), a recovering addict living in a different town.
I am a huge fan of Alice Munro – I think she’s the best Short Story writer… pretty much ever. Sometimes her stories are too subtle to translate to film or video very well, but still… this has to be pretty good.
12 quotes about reading to inspire writers
1. “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”
— George R.R. Martin
2. “Show me the books you read, and I’ll show you who you are.”
3. “If you cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use reading it at all.”
— Oscar Wilde
4. “For all I know, writing comes out of a superior devotion to reading.”
— Eudora Welty
5. “These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on the shelves.”
— Gilbert Highet
6. “We don’t need lists of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts; we need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.”
— Philip Pullman
7. “The walls of books around him, dense with the past, formed a kind of insulation against the present world and its disasters.”
— Ross McDonald
8. “Never judge a book by its movie.”
9. “A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can’t read them.”
— Mark Twain
10. “If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
— Stephen King
11. “Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
12. “You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, or who had ever been alive.”
― James Baldwin