I had forgotten how much I liked Amon Tobin.
I like to sleep with music playing – I used to be able to.Years ago, 1998 or so, I woke up in the middle of the night with the radio on and some random local classical show playing. They had decided to do something a little different and play some music out of their usual set of selections. I heard this thing… it seemed to enter my head in my half-dream state. The only words I remembered the next day were “Sultan Drops.” These were the early days of the internet, but I was able to do a search on “Sultan Drops” and came up with a CD from Amon Tobin. I’ve been a fan ever since.
His website has free samples….
15 Novels to read before the movie comes out (from Paste Magazine)
- Paradise Lost
- Anna Karenina
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
- OZ: The Great and Powerful
- World War Z
- Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter
- Life of Pi
- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- The Bell Jar
- On the Road
- The Hobbit
- The Great Gatsby
- Fahrenheit 451
I was cleaning up my files and found this picture of my son, Lee (in the blue shirt) and his runnin’ buddy, Rick.
10 Flash Fiction Writing Tips
- You only have room for one main character, so choose her well.
- You only have room for one scene, so choose it well.
- You only have room for a single plot.
- You only have room for a single, simple theme.
- Get to the main conflict of the scene in the first sentence.
- Skip as much of the backstory as you can.
- “Show” anything related to the main conflict.
- “Tell” the backstory; don’t “show” it.
- Save the twist until the end.
- Eliminate all but the essential words.
Guys, I’m fucking sick of this. I’m almost 20 and haven’t been able to score a better job than a fucking cook at a local fast food joint. What makes it worse is that I live in a small town so business is pretty limited, and where I work is the only place that’ll hire high school graduates. I’d get the hell out of this town if I could actually drive too, but I’ve failed every damn test I’ve ever taken. I’m socially awkward, even my only other co-worker fucking hates my guts. I have repressed lust for one of my best friends too; she’s athletic, smart and a gorgeous southern bell. I love her. You know what it’s like; I’ve been friend zoned real hard. She’s my only real friend, besides this one kid, who I’m pretty sure is only hanging around me because he is mentally challenged. I guess he’s the only one that can tolerate me.
And what makes this all fucking worse is that I live in a fucking pineapple under the sea.